Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wicca Candle Magick

Wicca Candle Magick Cover

Book: Wicca Candle Magick by Gerina Dunwich

This is a very interesting book, don't get me wrong, but it left me wondering so many things. This book is sloppy, and it makes me wonder if Gerina put her whole heart into it or just threw it together? Some paragraphs made me feel like she was in a hurry. I'm not joking, the introduction made me feel like she was anxious to get the book over with, she wrote the paragraphs like she was in a hurry. I wish she would have explained Candle Magick in this book, she dwells on possibly unessessary things and includes too many things that I don't think belong in this book. Her information on making candles isn't that bad, but there are other methods as well, some of which are easier, but she does give several options. Some of her oils are just gross, and I can't see a lot of Wiccans using them. Her information on herbs and healing isn't bad at all, I just wish she would have explained how to use herbs, how to use herbs with candle magick, and examples of rituals and spells. Her info on herbs is good, if you've had experience. Her information on gems and crystal are good too, it just has nothing to do with candle magick itself. Her information on gods and godesses is always good in all her books, but in this book it is too long and drawn out, I wouldn't be suprised if there are 40 pages just about Gods and goddesses used in Wicca and the candle colors associated with them. This is good information and it can be used for good reference, I'm just not sure it's necessary and makes me wonder if it was put in there to fill up space. Do you see what I mean? Her Sabbat rituals are not really candle rituals, she has good ideas for rituals, but some of her ideas are complicated, and unusuable for many readers. Plus, many Wiccans do not use ceremonial swords and do not cast magick circles in the way she does. But, as for almost any ritual in my opinion, it can be modified to fit your own needs, it just be nice, if you could follow it word by word. She is knowledgeable about the Sabbats, and her rituals are enlightening and fun to read. Her chapter on Candle Magick itself is strange, and it would be nice if there was some candle spells in it. Most of the spells she presents on a wide variety of topics contains candles, but I only considered ONE SPELL to actually be candle magick, and that was a love spells targeting individuals, something most Wiccans wouldn't do anyways. I'm not saying this is children's literature at all, but the way Gerina Dunwich writes in some places in this book, makes you feel like she is speaking to you either like a child or she doesn't care what you do kind of attitude. Her writing style in some places of this book might make some readers question her intelligence. That is rude, I know, but I am not joking. She does give a lot of spells, like some reviewers have said, some are very interesting, and some cover topics other authors avoid or may know nothing about, but some of her spells are bizarre, makes you wonder where she got them, some of her spells are gross, with disgusting ingredients, and some of her spells are almost impossible to perform for various reasons. She includes a chapter on Voudoun Candle Magick, which would have been nice if it included information about Voudoun Candle Magick, she is knowledgeable about Voodoo, and she does a good job explaining it and explaining Voodoo Gods and Goddesses and even how to make Voudoun candles, there is just very little information anyone can apply, but she does present Voudoun in an easy to understand, interesting, explainative manner of being. She includes a Voodoo ritual too, which I'm not sure is necessary, what was this book about again. She speaks about breaking Hoodoo (not Voodoo) curses, yet doesn't explain the background behind Hoodoo practice. Finally, as always, I liked her chapter on Candle Omens and Superstitions, and she even includes a listing of Occult and Metaphysical shops most of which I hope at least sell Candles accross the country. This book is good, I recently bought three more books and this one was the best, but this book is sort of thrown together, and makes me wonder more about what Gerina Dunwich was thinking when she wrote this book. For better information on Candle Magick, try Ray Buckland's Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for every purpose.

Buy Gerina Dunwich's book: Wicca Candle Magick

Free eBooks (Can Be Downloaded):

Anonymous - Witchcraft A Guide To Magic
Jaroslav Nemec - Witchcraft And Medicine
Thomas Moore - Candle Magick For Love

Popular Posts