Monday, July 28, 2008

Magic Happens A Powerful True Event

Magic Happens A Powerful True Event
My past had been a mix of disappointment and depression growing up in a fairly dysfunctional family. Although I had tried desperately to fit into the Christian paths and gain peace in my life, none of my efforts led me to anything except the feeling that I must not be "doing it right" because I never felt that "connection" that others seemed to experience. No matter how much I ached to understand and belong, I couldn't shake the instinctual and nagging rational thoughts that I was attempting to do nothing short of "self-brainwashing". By 1990, I had shrugged off all religion and was devoted to Atheism.

The next few years of hard work and determination allowed me to advance my career, purchase my own home, build my credit, and excel as a single Mother of two children. I was married in 1995 and thought that my life was now complete. Within the first three years, I had come to realize that I had married a younger, hillbilly-type version of my abusive father. How I had accomplished that is beyond me, since I never knew my father - other than stories I had heard. I sought divorce, but to my dismay, the court was going to insist that my husband have visitation with our three year old son. There was no way I could leave my child alone with the man who frequently threatened to break the children's fingers, called them names, went into childish and violent rages without notice, and had attempted to hire two different people to kill me.

I put the divorce on hold and notified my lawyer that we were reconciling. In truth, I was cringing deep inside while allowing my husband to think all had been resolved and forgiven. In his eyes, he had done nothing wrong anyway, and by this time I was no longer concerned over the numerous affairs he had with other women. I recall one day making the mistake of asking him to bring one of them home to help me take care of the six kids (his 3 who lived with us, my two, and our one) while he was gone all week driving his semi truck. After all, I really could have used some help in doing 26 loads of laundry a week, taking care of the steers we were raising, mending the fences, chopping the wood for heat, and all of the other duties in my life. I guess my husband didn't think my suggestion was humorous though, because he tried to put his cigarette out in my eye.

I felt a strong pull, once again, to explore pagan paths, witchcraft and the occult. I began journaling about the life threats and events in my life just to try and keep my sanity. It was around this time I also felt driven to study Natural Healing and Herbology. With my 5 inch thick book in hand, I spent hours in woods, fields and groves learning to identify various "weeds" and plants. All of these interests were kept quite secret and the journal kept locked away for my own security.

Three more years had come to pass since I had filed for divorce. I had planned to stick around and "deal with" the life I somehow had gotten myself into...until my oldest child told me that my husband had grabbed him by the throat, choking him and spitting in his face as he yelled at him when I had been away. THAT was the final straw. I honestly don't know where I found the strength to take on the man who not only wanted to kill me and treated me like dirt, but had also kidnapped our son at one point during one of the times he moved out (again). When it came to ME, I could endure nearly anything, but lay a hand on my children and there is NO question or doubt that I will stand up for them...even if it means a horrendous fight that I might not come out of alive.

It was now July, 2000. The kids were away, the husband was out on the road in some state living it up, and I was at my wits' end. HOW could I leave? WHERE would I go? I had to save my children...SOMEHOW. Bawling uncontrollably at my lack of resources and options, I walked outside. My legs were shaking along with the rest of me as I dropped to my knees, raised my arms and begged for help. Out loud I cried, "If I am not good enough for you, PLEASE at least help me to help my children!". By this time I knew that the Christian God didn't exist, so I wasn't really sure WHO was going to answer me, if anyone. I had come to know there were energies about that I didn't quite understand, but I didn't have a grasp on Magic at all. Completely spent of energy and tears, I used the truck to haul my old car out to the road and put a for sale sign in it.

Within three days time I noticed a different vehicle driving slowly down my road. My house was on a private, dead-end dirt road not listed on any map, eight miles out of town in the country. I hadn't even been able to put an advertisement in the paper for the sale of my car. I figured it must be an out of town visitor coming to see one of my three neighbors...until they pulled up near the car in the front yard and got out of their car.

As I spoke with them briefly, these strangers must have picked up vibes I was sending out subconsciously. They had said they lived 3 hours away and were "out for a drive", feeling "compelled" to come down the two private roads which led to my house. They were interested in the car and having noticed my demeanor, they asked if I was alright. I replied with something to the effect that I was trying to sell the car so I could get my children and myself away from a difficult situation with my husband.

One thing led to another. It seemed like our conversation only lasted five minutes, and in that time, these folks had given me their phone number, told me to pack everything I wanted to keep inside the car, and they would return in a couple days (while my husband was away) to haul the car, me, and my children out of there.

WOW, if THAT doesn't give a person chills! I had no idea if these people were "safe". Perhaps they locked up victims in their basement and tortured them, and here I was - agreeing to go and stay with them. HOW did they end up on my road? Why did they stop at my home? It was all very mysterious and didn't quite register (at the time) that they had been sent by powers of the Universe answering my plea.

The strangers arrived as promised, brought an extra helper and an extra trailer for some of our belongings, and I was petrified during the entire time we packed the vehicles that my husband would show up unexpectedly. I had come to cringe whenever I heard the sound of a semi-truck downshifting. He didn't show, thankfully. We got away safely, and the strangers were not to be feared.

My true story goes on from here to include various twists and turns, and there are even more fascinating encounters and experiences in the years leading up to the events I've described, but this is one of the most Magical and memorable times in my life. Some people attribute it to the Christian God even though I did not (and do not) believe in him. All I know for sure is that the potential for wielding Magic and controlling our destinies lies within all of us...we just need to learn how to recognize and utilize it.

"Known in the Pagan Community as the "Green Witch", Polly Taskey is descended from Mary Bradbury (Perkins). She uses her writing talents to bring you Pagan by Design Blog and Message Boards. If reprinted, this byline and links shown here must be included."

Popular Posts